Monday, February 19, 2007

Blog Post #3

On the 2.0 Job Description (Part 2): LIS Students in a 2.0 World by: Michael Stephens
http://http://www.techsource.ala.org/blog/2006/04/on-the-20-job-description-part-2-lis-students-in-a-20-world.html

Now I know what the expression, “Time flies when you are having fun” means after completing two weekends in LIS 753. There are so many exciting bits of information to learn and at times it can be a bit overwhelming, although it is a necessary addition to the LIS curriculum. Michael Stephens writes in the article above about, “turning the students in the class on to online social tools and the bigger picture of what’s happening online was a highlight for me.” As an active participant in the class I agree with the hands on, play with it approach to the ‘2.0 world’.

Michael has demystified the vocabulary that I once thought was totally foreign. In a collaborative effort my group project will be presenting the value of using Flickr in the library. I made a trading card for myself to use in the library which I never thought I would be doing before taking this class. Upon completion I will have a foundation for using the online tools in the school library I currently work in to inspire the students of the future.

As the article draws to a close, Michael starts to dream about LIS in the year 2015! Now I know I made the right choice in 2007 and I will have to keep up with all the newest trends in LIS as a lifelong learner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marita,
I agree with you COMPLETELY on this entire topic. I have learned to do things I never thought I could do and have "seen the light", if you will, on the value of librarians being up on social technologies as a means to enhance library services.
In addition, in reviewing Michael's article and thinking about our conversation in class, I think it is a completely shame that students can get an MLIS degree without being required to take an classes on technology. This is a SCIENCE degree, for goodness sake! If we fossilize ourselves by maintaining that the only scholarly and valuable information is available in the printed word we are fooling ourselves. If we believe that there is valuable information that is NOT in print but is available on the web, we have an obligation to learn how to access, aquire and share it with library users. Personally, I think we need to add a couple of core classes to the curriculum: Internet Fundamentals and Design and Searching Electronic Databases. Without them, I think we will be at a disadvantage when we graduate and try to guide change in our new worksites. Great topic!